Advanced Ischemic Heart Disease
The team of Cardiology specialists at First Coast Heart & Vascular Center treats advanced ischemic heart disease. We are committed to diagnosing and treating patients with severe ischemic heart disease, especially when the best course of treatment is not apparent.
Advanced ischemic heart disease, also known as advanced coronary artery disease, includes conditions that reduce the blood flow to the heart, producing damage to the heart muscle. Damage to the heart muscle causes conditions such as:
- Cardiac arrhythmias (abnormal heart beat)
- Heart failure (poor heart function)
- Heart valve dysfunction (like mitral regurgitation)
In many cases, patients with ischemic heart disease have been informed they have exhausted conventional treatment options.
How do you know if you have advanced coronary disease?
- You have had several angioplasty procedures and stents for recurrent, persistent coronary disease.
- You have an occluded coronary artery that has been closed for some time, a chronic total occlusion (CTO), but persistent chest pain.
- You may have had at coronary artery bypass surgery and require additional revascularization
- You may have been turned down for open heart surgery.
- You are still experiencing symptoms even while you have been receiving traditional treatment for coronary artery disease.
- You have been informed that there are no more treatment options for your coronary artery disease.
- You have been advised that you are at greater risk of developing heart failure and arrhythmias.
What treatment options exist?
- Complex Coronary Intervention with adjunctive procedures beyond stenting, often including Atherectomy (plaque modification), LASER, or Chronic total occlusion (CTO) angioplasty/stenting.
- Supported High Risk PCI: the use of heart pumps during coronary intervention to support blood pressure and perfusion.
The best strategy can be discussed with our doctors at length in the office. We routinely offer 2nd opinions. To schedule an appointment, please call 904-423-0010.